Writings by Carmela P.

Formerly "Mel's Musings" but do to many authors with name of Mel - changing to "Writings by Carmela P."

Thursday, January 03, 2008

BIRD of the Air


"Look at the birds in the sky,
that they do not sow or reap
or gather into barns,
and your heavenly Father feeds them.
Are you not worth much than they are?"


Matthew 26


Years ago while I was bemoaning my fate, I was inconsolable. I cried hard and long feeling helpless but not hopeless even though I was wailing for all I was worth. I remember being alone in the house. I guess the children were in school and my husband was at work. I had been in my red bathrobe and nightgown all day long. It was a sunny day but it was raining inside my heart. My soul and spirit were wallowing in my self-pity. I knew the day was wearing on and how could I get myself together before the children came home?

All of a sudden, I heard the most unbelievable sound of the chirp of a bird that had to have weighed 500 pounds for the chirp was the loudest I ever heard or will ever hear again. It was one chirp and I ran to the window and saw nary a bird at all.

At that point, I KNEW GOD was making a point and I stopped the wailing, the crying, the sniffling and got my act together. In that one split second, God was telling me that just as he cares for the birds of the air, how much more does he care for me.

I felt loved and consoled and when the children came home, I was showered and dressed, at peace and happy to be alive. I thanked God for his love.

When I think about it or see the above quote, I shall always remember that in my time of distress, when I felt unloved, unneeded, there is One who will never stop loving me, the God who created me out of His Love.



Mel Patterson - 1-3-08